With spring comes a beautiful wave of yellow in our lawns and fields. The sunshine of the dandelion brings a smile to our faces after a long grey winter. Dandelions are a hearty perennial that offers a complete package of nutritional goodness. Roasting the root of the dandelion is a favorite way to enjoy a deeply flavorful cup of tea. The young tender leaves of the dandy make a delightful addition to a spring salad or a quick saute with a little butter and lemon juice. The star of this recipe is the petal! Just using the yellow flower adds a cheerful color to this shortbread cookie dough. Paired with lemon it is an addictive little cookie!
Lemon & Dandelion Petal Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup organic Butter softened
- 1/2 cup organic Sugar
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 cups Flour unbleached wheat or Einkorn all purpose
- 1/4 cup dandelion petals yellow petals only
- 2 tsp lemon peel organic
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice organic
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugar until well mixed.
- Mix together the flour and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mixing on slow speed.
- Add the clean dandelion petals and lemon peel to the mixture.
- Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Scrape batter onto parchment paper and shape into a disc. Wrap the disc tightly and put in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 300℉
- Take dough out of the fridge. Divide dough in half and roll each half into 1/2" thick pieces.
- Using a cookie cutter or knife, cut out your shaped cookies.
- Place cookies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Remove cookies and let them cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze for the cookies.
- Drizzle the glaze with a fork or spread with a butter knife. You may want to sprinkle a few dandelion petals on to before the glaze sets.