My great aunt Marie originally made this recipe. She and Uncle Johnny owned an apple orchard in the mountains of Colorado. Uncle Johnny found great joy intending to the orchard, and Aunt Marie used her love of cooking to showcase the beautiful apples.
Enjoy this super moist cake for a delightful dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of warm cream sauce. A sweet breakfast with a little yogurt to the side is never a bad way to start the day either!
I have put my spin on the recipe by using whole wheat Einkorn flour, but using unbleached or whole wheat flour is delightful as well.
Honey Apple Cake
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups shredded apples I leave the peels on.
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat Einkorn flour or 1 ½ cup unbleached or whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and honey together, well. Add the 2 eggs and vanilla to the cream mixture. Mix well. Stir in the shredded apples and then add the mixed dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9”X9” baking pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce or this custard cream sauce.
Custard Cream Sauce
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup cream or half n half
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 3 Tbs maple syrup
- Whisk all the ingredients well in a small pot.
- Cook on a medium-low heat, whisking often. The sauce will start to thicken.
- As soon as the sauce coats the back of a spoon, pour the warm sauce through a fine strainer and then serve warm or refrigerate for later.